Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Beehive - @@@

Three stars for food, five for the really cool atmosphere/building. Went here Monday night while looking for some place in the city. This South End place came recommended both by online and in person. Also it's open pretty late as an added bonus.

I will go into the food first. I had the seared duck breast with pan fried rice and roasted grapes. Also had a side of chard and kale that was sautéed. The veggies were not as good as earlier in the project at Stoddards. I didn't like the kale as much since it was neither crisp or wilted. It was in a weird medium state that didn't have the best texture. The duck was cooked medium rare, which I still find really strange for poultry. If anyone can explain that to me I would be really grateful. It was good, with a nice glaze that reminded me of the Chinese marinade used. It may have been the five spice?? The fried rice was just not that good. It was mixed with green beans, peas, and onions but just lacked flavor.

The building itself was really cool. After talking to the bartender he told me the top used to be an old theater (really small one) and the downstairs was a boiler room. What was interesting is that they still have the existing coal shoot on the top floor. Another cool thing is the downstairs bar was carved out of raw space, which amazes me that empty space could be turned into something that unique. The place was also surrounded by brick and the downstairs felt like you were walking outside into a courtyard. The description doesn't give it justice because I can't describe the little nuances that the place has.

Overall it is a really cool place to just check out and it has some good food as well. I would recommend it for sure.

541 Tremont St
Boston, MA 02116

No comments:

Post a Comment