Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Korean bbq - Gangnam style

Truly Gangnam style as I went out last night near the Gangnam metro stop. Tons of stuff happening even around midnight but you really have to go off the main road to find it. As a tourist I walked the main road before venturing into the other streets where I found all the bars, restaurants, etc. As expected 24 hour Korean bbq places were also to be found.

Stopped in a few but didn't see the beef dishes, surprising lots of fried chicken and beer spots though. Actually not too surprising know what I know about Korean fried chicken. But I did not get. Instead wanted the beef. What made this particularly different was that they used charcoal and had a reservoir for the garlic, onions, and a egg mixture. The iron vessel got plenty hot and it cooked the items indirectly while the meat was directly cooked. Awesome, and the egg was even better mixed with the rice and a bit of the pepper paste. Also while I admit the charcoal flavor did not come through on the beef or pork I got, what was nice is that it kept the heat forever. This made it nice as I was eating pretty slowly at the end. Also enhancing the food was a coarse salt that they gave me, allegedly through translation it was made in house, but I doubt the validity of that. They also mixed the salt and oil, but I strongly preferred the dry salt better. Also the soju cost as much as a beer so I went with a whole bottle. All in all a great night to explore the streets of Seoul.

Ps - while I didnt find the kimchee too spicy, those peppers on the bottom left were quite hot

No comments:

Post a Comment