Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Abbey - @@@@

I debated a long time here between a 3 and 4 so keep that in mind as you read. This is a neighborhood bar that came up in a few articles when I googled "best hamburger Providence". It did not let me down.

First off I got this monster meal for $13 and it was the Roadhouse burger. The 10 oz party was topped with gruyère cheese, bacon, carmelized onions, garlic mayo on a toasted onion roll. Great flavor and was reminded of French onion soup a little, actually a lot. Look at that melted cheese...that's the way to do it! The beef was very tasty and after one bite was dripping with juice. The one downside was I ordered it medium rare and it came on the medium/medium well side. The abundance of fries was a good touch too, they were deeply fried so they all stayed straight when picking them up and had a good fried flavor. They seemed to be fried in something other than vegetable oil and would put them slightly better than average.

In addition I had their clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl to start. The chowder itself was excellent, so hot it burned my tongue. Finished on top with dill, I have discovered that to be a great garnish on clam chowder rather than parsley. The soup was rich and creamy with chunks of clams ad potatoes all throughout. Not as thick as other chowders I have had though. Also could've done without the bread bowl as it didn't add much except more carbs to an extremely carb heavy meal!

All in all I think this is the best burger I have had in Providence so far except maybe Ivy Tavern. I thought the service here was outstanding as well. They have a wide beer selection and would be appreciated by any proper beer drinker but even though I didn't get a beer, my water glass was kept extremely full by the hustling waitress. The clientele seemed to be all locals as this is not exactly downtown which I thought is a good thing. Will definitely be back to try another one of there ~25 different burger combinations.

686 Admiral St
Providence, RI 02908

No comments:

Post a Comment