Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tupelo - @@@@

I should preface this that I think this review is actually incomplete. I ordered the gumbo and collard greens which were all good but saw a couple of other entrees that I would for sure try next time such as the fried chicken, hangar steak, and pork lion.

Couple of interesting things about this southern restaurant in Boston. 1 - it is in Boston. Because I sadly have not been to New Orleans before, I cannot be certain that this gumbo was good. It tasted rich. Had all the andouille, pulled chicken, and okra I could want. Rice was not soggy. I enjoyed it. 2 - really enjoyed the fact that my food came out approximately 2 minutes after I ordered. I didn't even have a chance to open my magazine. This is good because what I got should've been prepared hours ago. No quick cooking gumbo and collard greens ever. I personally dislike if a slow cooking restaurant takes forever to get your food out. Hello, the brisket has been cooking for 13 hours...what else do you need to do?? I think it basically took as long to grill the toast and my food was out. Awesome. 3 - some of the best cornbread I have ever had. Moist, not super crumbly, rich tasting butter makes it great. Not the empty plate in the picture. 4 - pickled cabbage on top of greens made a good taste contrast. I think it made it a touch sweet which for me worked well with the greens, again very good to my non-southern tastebuds. 5 - they did not have extra sides that came with the special. At first I was a little mad but then had to respect them that they would only prep enough fried brussel sprouts for the one dish that it came with.

This was a perfect way to kill some time before driving back to Providence. Very informal hipsterish setting, friendly and attentive service, and good food made the inevitable rush hour drive back super easy. As mentioned in the beginning, I would not order the gumbo next time just so I can try some of the other entrees. For New England southern food, I thought it was pretty good!

1193 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139

No comments:

Post a Comment