Thursday, April 20, 2017

La Estancia - @@@

Very close to a 4. Very good, just a touch below Tango in Boston that I really liked. This is a local Argentine restaurant that I really enjoyed. Quite a bit of food too for under $30 so the value is good for the metro DC region.

I ordered the short ribs or asado tira medium rare. They are not melt in your mouth, but rather a bit of chew to them. If you are expecting filet like tenderness, I would not get these. Instead I like them because they taste like beef, are flavorful, and juicy. Served on a scalding hot iron plate, I actually removed one because they were still cooking quickly on the plate. Ate all of them and love the contrast with the large boneless pieces and then the bones individually. Much better than the boneless short ribs I head earlier this week where they were braised. I just like the bone-in grilled flavor better. Sadly forgot to ask for chimichurri but they were good enough that I didn't think of needing it. Would've been interesting to compare though. Also comes with 2 sides which I upgraded to 3 cause I have a problem. "Salad bar" had iceberg lettuce, tomato slices, cucumbers, and onions but also had brocolli (helpful) and a great potato salad which no one could explain what it was called (ensalada Russa aka Russian salad is the best I got from the employees). Cubed potatoes, cubed carrots, and peas in a sweet creamy sauce. Really good. Better than my mashed potatoes which were ordinary. Also fried plantains but not super fried and much more similar to the caramelized plantains that I like. Soft and sweet rather than thin and crispy. I think they call them maduros. Really good and still eating them as my dessert.

All in all really good. Very helpful staff with constant water with lime refills. Soccer reruns playing on tv with El Clasico in 3 days. Try it out if you are in the NoVa area. It's in a strip mall, you will not be sorry.

7810 Lee Hwy, Suite F
Falls Church, VA 22042

No comments:

Post a Comment