Tuesday, April 19, 2011

La Creperie - NR

After eating at Kartabar, we continued walking the streets of Brown and stumbled across this small creperie that was literally down an alley.  I do not think google maps would find it.  As we passed the trash canisters in the alley, my coworker commented that we were crazy going down there after only seeing a sign on Thayer St pointing down the alley to this place (it was not that far down the alley).  I can not comment on the crepes as I didn't get one even though they smelled pretty good.  I was too full.  Instead I opted for a fruit smoothie that had too much apple juice in it.  The main reason I found this spot blog-worthy was the music they were playing.  I got to listen to 3 tracks of Gang Starr's Moment of Truth while I was waiting for my smoothie.  Full disclosure - the wait wasn't that long; it was just that I wanted to hear more of "Above the Clouds".  I need to dig that cd out of the boxes again.  No rating due to me not trying a crepe.

82 Fones Aly
Providence, RI 02906

3 comments:

  1. Hidden gems often make for great stories. The best crepe I've had was from Crepe Inn in Cayenne, French Guiana back in January. A bit of a challenge to find, but not quite in the back of an alley. I had a chocolate, banana crepe, served to me by an Indian gentleman, who only spoke french. Ordering was a challenge. In this instance, we couldn't cheat our lack of communication skills by making animal sounds.

    Apple is not a good flavor for a fruit smoothie IMO.

    Sounds like you went back in time 10 years with the whole Kartabar mid-90's R&B followed by the crepe spot playing Guru. Hey, I'd go for that.

    Google maps is pretty crazy. Check out the current google map of my parents' address and check the street view. My Dad's out in the driveway with one of the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chris - there were no whole apples used, just apple juice as a base liquid.

    your hidden gem story kind of inspires me to find this place to get a crepe now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, depending on the juice and the apples, the flavors of apple juice and actual apples can be very different.

    Yeah, I feel pretty snooty - not many people can say they've had a great banana chocolate crepe served to them at a fine crepe establishment in French Guiana.

    You should go back so you can tell people you ate "some crepe from a back alley in Rhode Island." haha

    ReplyDelete