Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Shogun Steak & Seafood - @@@

On Wednesday, March 30 we had an informal team dinner at Shogun, a hibachi-style restaurant down by the airport.  It was informal in the sense that we were working late and everyone just seemed to be hungry at the same time and we decided to go out.  Shogun was an interesting choice since we were all hungry and it was not that close to work.  However some wanted sushi so this was suggested.

I feel that if you have been to one hibachi restaurant, you have been to them all.  Case in point with Shogun.  One interesting "feature" was that the building literally looked like someone's house on the outside, definitely not like a restaurant much less a Japanese one.  But once inside you could see the familiar hibachi grills (there were about 8) with a bar in the back.

I ordered the steak and chicken combo which you may know comes with soup, salad, vegetables, fried rice, and shrimp appetizer.  Soup was a basic miso soup which is always ok.  The salad is pretty straightforward iceberg lettuce, tomato, cabbage and a ginger-orange dressing (I think).  I am not a huge fan of the vegetables just due to the type they use as opposed to how they cook them.  The fried rice is pretty normal as well, however here it was rather moist, which is kind of odd for fried rice.  It was at a hibachi grill though that I learned to add both butter and sesame seeds to mine for added texture and flavor.  Shrimp is what you expect when put on a flat-top.  The steak was a strip steak that they sear off and then cut into cubes.  They also mix in butter to create an extra richness.  It was alright, but since it was cut into cubes, it was cooked more medium than medium-rare.  The chicken was seared and cubed again and cooked off.  It was average in terms of flavor (slight seasoning with salt/pepper and garlic with more butter).

There was also sushi ordered which I tried (spicy tuna plus some other crazy concoctions).  I figured why not try it while it as there.  I notice I take like one bite max so the amount of fish that I taste is minimized.  Is that how you are supposed to eat sushi??  Fried dumplings (goyza) were also ordered as an appetizer which were pretty good.

All told, the experience here was pretty good.  It is always interesting watching the chef in front of you, however there were no key learnings like with the fried rice.  The food was average tasting so I would give this a 3 of 5.  I would go back, but would also want to try other offerings first.  I would also recommend this type of place with a group of people as it is always more comfortable sitting at a table with a bunch of people you know as opposed to half strangers.


76 Jefferson Blvd
Warwick, RI  02888

10 comments:

  1. Ooo, late-breaking review! So have you started taking notes yet while you're eating? :)

    Not sure what you meant about the one bite max thing. You mean you take one bite of whatever it is and leave the rest? Or you eat each piece in one bite?

    If you want to learn to like sushi, we need to go get you some REAL sushi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, the "captcha" I had to enter when I wrote that comment was "nomazi." I kinda like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm curious, have your co-workers had any notable reactions to your blog or food-tendencies?

    Have fun with Optometrist when you guys go for sushi. I'll pass. I've tried sushi like three whole times now (and the fresh kind too like close to the ocean), haven't been swayed yet. If I ever try it again, I'll probably be like you on the whole minimize the fish I eat protocol.

    Butter and sesame seeds for added fried rice flavor and texture? Looks like I have something new to try for dinner tomorrow *gotta pick up some sesame seeds.

    I did Benihana once with Kim and her friends. It was a cool experience, but since I was so seafood-averse back then, I probably didn't get the best of their offerings. I did enjoy the teriyaki steak though. Oh, I really like gyozas too.

    I enjoy the atmosphere of these spots, and like you said, it's easier to enjoy that experience with a sizable group of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Optimista - no notes while eating yet. all what i can remember so take it for what thats worth haha.

    regarding the sushi one bite thing, it was more like eat the whole thing in one bite so its not like the fish is being constantly tasted

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chris - not sure if co-workers read this or not, but i am sure it does not sway the votes of restaurant picking

    make sure you get the pre-roasted sesame seeds as i think those are better and crunchier

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have no idea what you are talking about with the crazy words...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris' various nicknames for me are cracking me up.

    What's the point of eating sushi if you don't want to taste the fish? Seems like you'd just skip it altogether. Although there are sushi joints that do some cool stuff with non-fish sushi. There's a place here that does killer beef tongue sushi. Too weird for you?

    The "captcha" thing I was talking about was the word I had to enter to prove to the computer that I was not a spambot. You have that enabled on your blog. Whenever somebody makes a comment, they have to enter a random set of letters, and the last one I entered was "nomazi," which sounds like a combination of "nom" and "kamikazi."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'd take notes either, but you have a pretty good memory for your updates.

    I misinterpreted the one-bite fish thing. It's likely that I'd be taking fewer and smaller bites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just trying it out since it was there. i did have some general tso's chicken sushi that was pretty exciting but not here

    ReplyDelete