Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tortilla Flats - @@

Wow, it has been a long time since I have updated this.  Been pretty busy with work but still have been eating!  I went to this restaurant on Monday, March 28 after hearing good things about this place. 

When I walked in, the place was designed like a neighborhood establishment with artifacts on the wall.  Not sure if this was done intentionally like an Applebee's or that is what they grew to add, but it looked pretty neat.  However when seated at a booth, the bench was incredibly uncomfortable!  We are talking 90 degree benches that were all wood, not meant for lounging obviously.  In fact, we asked to be switched to a table where they had more comfortable wood chairs. 

Once settled into the "comfortable" wood chairs at the table, I expected to get some chips and salsa with the drinks.  To my surprise, they had to be ordered as an appetizer.  I thought chips and salsa were always included similarly to bread at Italian restaurants and pitas at Mediteranean restaurants.  Strike 2...

For my main dish, I ordered the Chile Rellenos.  These are green chile's stuffed with meat and lightly fried.  They are then topped with a sauce and served with the traditional beans and rice.  The concept is really good and I was hoping for something that resembled the chile rellenos that I had in Arizona.  I knew they probably wouldnt be as good, but they were only ok.  The meat was not that flavorful and I wished there was some cheese melted on top for extra flavor.

I did order desert here...fried ice cream.  I havent had that in a while and forgot what it tasted like.  Here it did not taste that good as it was too cereal-ly.  The ice cream ball seemed too small for the amount of corn flakes they used so that kind of overpowered the taste.  I think drizzled honey would've went better with it compared to the melted chocolate sauce.

Overall I gave Tortilla Flats a 2 of 5 due to the complaints above.  The seating, chips and salsa, and not so good food would have me try many of the other Mexican restaurants in RI before coming back here.  To be fair, the drinks are supposed to be made stronger than normal so that may be a plus for those that are seeking margaritas.  Otherwise I would head elsewere.

chile rellenos - needs more cheese!





fried ice cream - too little ice cream, too many corn flakes

355 Hope St
Providence, RI  02906

2 comments:

  1. Bleh. That looks and sounds like run-of-the-mill Tex Mex. I am not a huge Tex Mex fan to begin with (much prefer interior Mexican food), but this looks extra bad.

    And what is with them serving the ice cream in a crust bowl? That seems like dough overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleh x 2. I wouldn't expect there to be a strong Mexican or Southwestern presence in RI. There's not a big contingent out here in SE Michigan (outside of Mexican Town in Detroit), but there's decent SW/Mexican food here.

    I think the food looks uninspired.

    DO CHINESE FOODz.

    ReplyDelete