Monday, July 4, 2011

Ivy Tavern - @@@@

Went to a casual bar-ish restaurant called Ivy Tavern in Providence one night due to good reviews online that indicated their burger was great.  I wasn't expecting too much as I heard about Lili Marlene's at the same place and I thought their hamburgers were just average.

Walking in was your typical neighborhood spot that I would compare to The Brown Jug, perhaps a little smaller.  Basic seating, few tvs, and just people hanging out.  Good atmosphere perhaps enhanced with the Celtics-Heat game on (yes, still way behind on blogs).

To start had some roasted (I think) feta cheese appetizer that was pretty good.  Just a piece of feta that was seasoned with herbs and a very mild spread I believe based with olives.  Spreading it on bread points was a tasty way to kick off the meal.

For dinner, I had to order the burger since that is what they are known for.  I also opted for the bonus of bacon and chili since the menu claimed the chili was "famous" or "award winning" or some other fairly generic adjective that every restaurant can claim.  Fry selection was regular or garlic...hmmm I'll go with the garlic!  In short, the hamburger was very good.  Large, juicy, and full of flavor, I really liked it.  Surprisingly the addition of bacon and chili did not do much for me, as I tasted more of the meat and cheese flavor.  The chili did make it harder to eat by hand, and if I were to go back again I would go without it.  The bun was large and did hold up well relative to the mass quantities of ingredients inside.  Also toasted right and helped add to the overall burger taste.  The fries were extremely good.  Thicker cut fries that I expect when topped with stuff, they were fried per order very crispy.  The remaining oil on the fries help cut the raw garlic, but they were still strong and great.

I would definitely come back and recommend this place for a good burger.  It was good, local spot that I would've never found without online recommendations.  I give it a 4 of 5


758 Hope St
Providence, RI 02906

2 comments:

  1. What's your standard (if there is such a thing) burger topping list? Did I already ask this?

    Burger, salt/seasoning, ketchup, american cheese, 2 tomato slices, a single thin ring of onion, 3 pickle slices, iceberg lettuce (for crisp). Yeah, pretty sure I asked this already. I usually pass on bacon. More often than not, it overpowers the burger flavor (as you described in this case).

    You're definitely pretty good at melting cheese into the burger when grilling; one of my quirks is that I prefer to put ketchup on the meat, then let the cheese melt on top of that combo.

    Says on the right that your favorite burger is from Miller's in Dearborn. What sticks out about their burger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 83/17 ground beef, salt/pepper, melted cheese, mayonnaise are normal toppings for me. can also go with crisp lettuce (romaine), tomato, bacon, ketchup as bonus toppings as well

    i like Millers because of the overall simplicity of just good tasting beef, melted cheese, and bun. havent been there in a while because i dont think they have mayonnaise which i basically regard as a must

    ReplyDelete