Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Davio's - @@@@@

On Monday, May 2 my coworker and I took a psuedo road trip after work to the outlet mall in Wrentham, MA.  It is a 40 minute drive from Providence to the "premium outlets" that are out there which includes all the normal outlet stores plus more exclusive stores such as Puma, Vera Bradley, and Spyder.  Also in the area is Foxboro, Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place.  Foxboro as most sports fans know is home to the New England Patriots.  We were able to see the stadium which was really nice.  Patriot Place is a bunch of shops/restaurants that surround the stadium that reminds me of a large outdoor mall.  Great concept in the summer, not really sure how it works in the winter though.

For dinner, we went to Davio's, a "northern Italian steakhouse" that was located in Patriot Place.  While we go to nice places for dinner, this place was one of the nicest for sure.  The interior was really well laid out and the table had many different utensils, a true sign of upscale eating in my opinion.

For the appetizer, Philly Cheesesteak spring rolls were ordered.  The description there was that it included "spicy homemade ketchup and spicy mayo".  After coming from Philadelphia recently, I did not know what to expect.  What came out was a sight...two spring rolls cut in half on the bias topped with onion rings on top of the 2 condiments.  They were really good.  The mix of cheese and beef inside the freshly fried spring roll wrapper was a great combination and the ketchup and mayo accompanied it nicely.

For dinner, I had the flat iron steak which was served with crispy potatoes and a spicy salsa.  Here the steak was cooked perfectly and the meat was very tender.  Again the steak was pre-sliced, but for some reason I am ok with it with cuts like this.  Strange thinking, but I feel that it makes the diner get the meat in the most tender fashion as some may not realize to cut it across the bias.  The meat was very flavorful and the spicy corn tomato salsa was a good balance to the meat.  The potatoes soaked up all of the juices and helped impart flavor to them.

Overall, I felt this was a really good place that I would definitely recommend and go back to.  For me, it borders on a 4 or 5 and I am thinking 5 right now.  Not even mentioned was the really good bread that they offered that also came with a cheese spread and olives or the very attentive service.  The only drawback is that depending on what you order it can be pretty expensive.  For this meal though, I will give it a 5 of 5.

Philly cheesesteak spring rolls - very artistic

potatoes and greens were underneath

236 Patriot Pl
Foxboro, MA 02035

3 comments:

  1. Next time you go there, say hi to Tom Brady for me.

    Also that food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outlets/Foxboro/Gillette area definitely sounds like a pretty cool summer day thing.

    Real nice presentation of the appetizer and entree. Those are some very finely breaded onion rings. You say the mayo/ketchup accompanied the egg rolls well, but I don't think I would have liked scraping the mayo and ketchup off the plate. Even though the plate looked nice and fancy, I would just prefer a souffle cup for dipping. A small thing to get hung up over, but whatever. The cheesesteak-egg roll concept sounds fantastic.

    BTW, I also prefer "ketchup." "Catsup" just looks dumb.

    Fancy looking meal at what sounds like a fancy, expensive place. Keep eatin well, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. scraping plate with utensils was unnecessary, just dip it with the spring rolls

    ReplyDelete