Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Croakers Spot - @@@@

Asked for recommendations for southern food from the coworkers and they did not let me down. The place is pretty small it seems - I had to sit at the bar which had 1 seat left. There also was a band coming in to play so I started out with my two favorite things!

I had a recommendation on the meal as well but took a while to look through the menu anyways. I guess their thing is seafood - their slogan may be "the soul of seafood"?? Also making the choice even more interesting. But I did get the recommended southern smothered chicken which was extremely good. Huge portions and could've had another piece of chicken. It was a semi fried chicken breast smothered in brown, onion gravy all over white rice with a side of cabbage and cornbread. I'll start with the cornbread and side sauce which actually was my least favorite. The sauce was described as very addicting which ended up being pretty good. It was sweet and syrupy and definitely had a unique flavor. I still prefer butter with cornbread which was good here but still not my favorite. Then the cabbage which was really good. Tender, sautéed, and super peppery - I definitely enjoyed it. Then the chicken over rice with gravy was just solid. The chicken tasted almost fried prior to being smothered but I am guessing it was pan seared briefly. The skin seemed on as well but was able to cut everything with just my fork. The gravy mixed with the rice made the dish. I could eat multiple servings of it.

Couple of other odd things included me ordering a side of fish just to try. Note - I ordered one piece and three came out. The filets were not boneless so it was kind of a pain to eat...needless to say I didn't eat it all. The flavor itself was pretty mild but I wouldn't get it again. I also don't like seafood much but then again had a cup of the chowder. It was an interesting take in that it had some parmesan cheese on it, croutons and old bay. It still was creamy and had a bunch of seafood and potatoes and to me was a very mid-atlantic take on the soup. Another was the band. They played at reasonable levels to me but I was on the other and not really needing to talk to anyone. They also played Michael Jackson, CeeLo, and Chris Brown rather than rock music so more enjoyable than normal. Another was the guy sitting next to me who was selling cell phones and was trying to connect service to someone who didn't have a SSN or TIN. Boost Mobile and Metro PCS. All sorts of things going on. Great vibe to the place - was like a barbershop that sold good food. Really good service by the bartender too - kept the water full.

Would definitely recommend coming to try especially if you like seafood. Or southern. Or just good food. I'm not sure if it is always this busy or not, but you may want to prepare to have some wait as I got there at 7:30 and there were no tables to be found. There is a dedicated carry-out entrance so that also may be an option. I feel my dish would be good after transit still so can see why people take advantage of that. Come check it out.

1020 Hull St
Richmond, VA 23224

No comments:

Post a Comment