Monday, March 6, 2017

Deep Run Roadhouse - @@@

I tried another bbq place in Richmond tonight looking for that solid southern bbq. Place was pretty good but I still like Mission bbq better. The sides I liked better here, notice how green the green beans are, not soggy and overcooked like at many other southern restaurants. The cornbread was pretty good with the honey butter but not as good as my standard of Beale Street Smokehouse in Hartland, MI of all places.

However on to the meats. I got the three meat combo with brisket, sausage, and spare ribs. I thought the meat was pretty light, but more to come on that in a bit. If you notice there is sauce on everything already...not great from my opinion. I could taste the smoke in the ribs but much less so for the brisket and sausage. Actually I liked the brisket least, it was somewhat tough and not moist. The sauce didn't add much, I preferred the bourbon sweet one they offered but it didn't go well on the brisket (it is the darker sauce on the top left). In the middle was the ribs, smoky but somewhat dry as well. Did have some good resistance which was good and the sauce was decent on them. The best I thought was the sausage which was well spiced and crunchy skin. There sadly were only 4 or 5 pieces which I promptly devoured. The sausage I thought went the best of the three with the bourbon sweet sauce. So I seemed hungry still after eating so I ordered another 1/4 lb of sausage. They proceeded to load up a carry out container with thick cuts of sausage. Clearly a hook up I think as it literally contained more meat than all of my original meal. So shoutout to them for that. Couldn't finish it all, will eat it over the week in the hotel.

As I compare all bbq with the brisket, I would say Mission BBQ is still better. Q BBQ is also quite good and I liked it better too. I honestly can't remember Buz and Ned's bbq; not memorable. I would say it's standard for around here, definitely can't compare to Texas but not ok overall. It is a bit out of the way in a strip mall in basically a neighborhood but the people were friendly and good service.

12379 Gayton Rd
Richmond, VA 23238

No comments:

Post a Comment