Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Family Secrets - @@@

Super hard to give Family Secrets (FS) a 3 rating cause I thought it was quite good. Just with being at Croakers Spot (CS) yesterday it was pretty easy to compare head to head.

I will type this out quick as I am waiting for a few fried chicken wings. Cornbread - FS. I liked how it was more dense and a bit sweeter taste. Then with the butter I thought it was better rather than the sweet syrup at CS. Cabbage - CS. Better flavor, consistency, and texture. I enjoyed the peppery-ness at CS and was seasoned better. Rice - CS. The rice was slightly watery at FS which detracted from the tasty gravy. The rice/gravy combo at CS was great. Main - toss up. Really liked the smothered pork chops tonight at FS, slightly sautéed then covered with tasty brown onion gravy. Similar to the chicken at CS. I usually prefer pork over chicken but CS was really good too.

I would happily return to both. There is more meat choices at FS which is a plus. Much less busy and also much more hole-in-the-wall. It is in a strip mall but it had a constant stream of diners and take out even past 9 pm. Good helpful service. All good signs. Happy to dine at either.

5310 Chamberlayne Rd
Richmond, VA 23227

No comments:

Post a Comment