Monday, July 6, 2015

Carolina Market Restaurant - @@@@

I was lucky enough to be driving to Cranston the other day around lunch and was able to stop by this restaurant for some carry out. In summary, it was quite good/flavorful and a great value.

This place is in South Providence which depending on who you ask is either not the greatest/safest location or outright dangerous. Because I went smack in the middle of the day I felt fine and there is a parking lot right behind the restaurant. The place itself has around 10 tables where you can sit so it is not strictly a carry out joint. There are two entrances and my lack of Spanish speaking did not allow me to appropriately figure out which one to best use. When you walk in there is a large glass warmer area (similar to a cafeteria where they serve you) and you pick out your options. Pretty simple sounding but I 100% messed up their flow based on communication, questions, and explanations. Luckily they weren't too busy yet and they speak English well enough to tell you how much and what it is.

I got the $6 plate which includes starch (multiple rices, spaghetti), side (plantains, salad, etc) and main (multiple pork and beef items, fish too I think) from the best of my interpretation. They also have $4 and $8 plates which would make sense to be smaller and larger portions. I got the yellow rice and beans which were very flavorful (and also added some bonus gravy from some other beef dish), caramelized plantains which I thought were cooked right on point, and finally the chicharron. The sides as quickly mentioned were good but the star was obviously the chicharron (fried pork). What I loved here is they chopped it up for you and this were all solid chunks of meat. Great idea for a lunch that way you aren't gnawing on bones or struggling to cut it up with your plastic knife while at work. Juicy and tender, the meat was also well seasoned and the homemade hot sauce added an even better kick to it. Great dish!

To the best of my research, this is labeled as a Dominican restaurant which I never have specifically had. I do think that most Latin American restaurants have similar dishes just with a touch of different spices, seasonings, or method of cooking. I have had the same dish at Colombian, Peruvian, and Costa Rican restaurants but they always taste great. Two things to note is that the pernil (roast pork) is only available after 1 they said and the mofongo takes 15 minutes to prepare which was a slight bummer. Good things to know if I can get back to this place the next time though. All in all a really great meal and a great value as this $6 plate could easily feed 2 meals if one desired. Would recommend to try out!

Carolina Market Restaurant
864 Broad St
Providence, RI 02907

No comments:

Post a Comment