Wednesday, July 1, 2015

O Dinis - @@@@

Honestly this beef "stew" wasn't even that good. It's chunks of top round or something cheap, potatoes, and linguisa/chorizo thrown in a pot with this non-thickened liquid (can't even call it a gravy) and presented as stew. Really?? Carrots...Nope. Onions...None found. But then a 4 of 5?? How and why?

The reason is this liquid of the stew was so flavorful I can't describe it. When you dip the Portuguese bread rolls into it, there is some weird flavor transformation at work. I tried the liquid by itself...its not that special!! But it is. When asking the waitress what's in it, she replied "it's Portuguese and takes a long time to make". Well that helps none at all. I can't place the flavors. I can see oil from the sausage and probably some olive oil in there. It's heavily red tinted so guessing some paprika or slight tomato derivative. I think tomatoes are too acidic usually so I would doubt there is much of that there. What little herbs appeared to be somewhat fresh parsley that I don't think would contribute much. A very slight and subtle spicyness but would surely pass as "mild". To me it does taste like a liquid Portuguese sausage I would imagine. I just don't know. I do know though that the bread and liquid is an amazing meal all by itself. I guess that's why I didn't think the meat and potatoes were that good, and this is coming from someone that is all meat and potatoes all the time. They were just overshadowed by the star.

Otherwise this neighborhood Portuguese restaurant is the place to be. Packed on a Wednesday, the food is served rather slowly but amazingly hot. It took upwards of an hour to get my food but I think it is worth it. They say this beef stew special is every Wednesday but I want to come back for their bife a casa as well (I had it a while ago and remembered that I thought it was better than Madiera). I am picturing a small kitchen with food cooked to order. This is my current pick for best Portuguese in RI and will surely be back. Careful though as they are closed on Tuesdays.

579 Warren Ave
East Providence, RI 02914

No comments:

Post a Comment