Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Lunch in Singapore

Not even sure if this would be considered lunch but rather a second breakfast?? Quite thirsty so I decided to go to the Chinatown hawker center to grab a sugarcane drink. And of course check out some food. Walking around I notice there is a preliminary queue setting up for this one stand that opened at 10:30 (note the time which is why it could be second breakfast)

I grab a sugarcane drink S$1.80 with "less ice" and it is pretty good. Sweet as you may imagine but not sugary. More syrupy. And the ice thing is weird, it costs more for less ice. Which makes sense because more raw product used, but I think the opposite of the milk tea which was more for the ice. Weird but we are talking 30 cents here. Me personally would probably take more ice and get it cold, but good either way

By this time, the line has actually formed for the stand (Hawker Chan) rather than people just standing around. I may as well join and see what this place is. I am like the 20th person in line. A guy joins the line behind me and is clearly not local (non-Asian) and starts taking pictures. So I ask him what's up with this place. Well it is the worlds cheapest Michelin star restaurant. Who knew! So while we are waiting we are talking about random stuff and he is from Czech Republic covering the WTA matches for the week. Turns out he is a big Red Wings fan due to Hasek, Hudler, etc. So that's cool, helps the 20 min wait fly by

As far as the food itself, yes it was S$2 which is incredibly cheap. Drink cost the same amount which is pretty funny. But the soya sauce chicken with rice was just that...soya sauce chicken with white rice. Not chicken rice, but white rice. Didn't really love it, skin was pretty good but as I have discovered eating another round of chicken rice that is that I do not like chicken on the bone unless it is fried chicken. Had decent flavor I guess but wasn't anything special. Certainly wouldn't wait an hour for that plate unless I really only had $2. I thought maybe I was just being too critical but Miroslav (the sports reporter) said the same thing. Then another non-Asian couple that was in line in front of us were leaving and I flagged them down for their opinion. Same thing. Maybe I should ask more Asian people I guess...

Anyways the stall is in the Chinatown hawker market. If you go in the main entrance, go up the escalators (I didn't realize the food stalls were upstairs since all there was on the main floor was textiles) and it's basically in the middle left of the layout. Not great instructions but just find the line and you're there. Try it for the experience I guess




No comments:

Post a Comment