Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cuban Revolution - @@@@

On Wednesday, I walked to Cuban Revolution which is 6 or so blocks from the hotel.  As some other teammates went out for a team dinner, I tried to find something a little different to try.  This was unsuccessful.  Since it was the first day of lent, I think some local, smaller restaurants closed early.  Prior to settling on Cuban Revolution, I was going to try a Korean or Caribbean restaurant. 

I had been to Cuban Revolution in the past and thought it was average primarily due to the usage of salt.  Everything was salty, especially the bread that came with my meal.  This time was different.

As an appetizer, I ordered a dozen hot wings.  They were good in their own right as they were breaded, then fried, and finished with a hot sauce blend from Frank's Red Hot.  Then add in the fact that they were 20 cents each and you have a winner! 

For dinner, I had their "worlds best Cuban sandwich".  I have had a decent amount of Cuban sandwiches in the past, and I think this one was really up there with the best.  I get mine without the pickles, but the flavor was still really good.  A big plus was the bread they used.  Usually when a sandwich is pressed it comes out really thin, but this time the bread stood up and still had some volume.  Sandwich construction was also optimal as I could taste all the components: roast pork, ham, swiss, mayonaise, and mustard.  The proportions worked and nothing overpowered another.  The swiss was melted well throughout and the meats tasted great.  I also had a side of fried plantains which were also really good.  They were not overly sweet and were fried just right.  Interestingly they come with a side of sour cream which I usually dont use.

Overall this meal was really enjoyable and I give it a 4 of 5.  I particularly enjoy the fact that they are open late since I eat later than most and they are walkable from the hotel.  I will definitely be back.


Good sandwich construction.  Notice bread height.  Fried plantains in the back too


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's a good review. I'd eat that.

    Makes me want to try a cuban without pickles. I haven't had a "great" cuban sandwich yet, and I do recall that in the few I've had, the pickle flavor stood out, at least in my memory.

    I agree, good, firm (but not too firm) bread is major for a sandwich when blending multiple strong flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty and I want a bite.

    Where are these restaurants? You should add the city and state, or at minimum, the state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris - my main complaint with pressed sandwiches is the lack of depth of bread...it gets so thin it is like a cracker

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stacy - appreciate the feedback. i think all so far have been in RI since i am there every week for work. will add the info for future posts

    ReplyDelete