Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Union Station Brewery - @@

Last Tuesday was team night so we all went out as a big group to Union Station Brewery.  The restaurant is convienently located right below my hotel so I am familiar with it and have been there in the past.  It is interesting to go out with different coworkers as opposed to the normal group.

Since it was a team social event, I ordered one of the house beers, the Golden Spike.  I think it was an IPA with a good bite to it.  I always enjoy a beer, however I now order it only on team nights since I would not drink it with dinners at home.  Slightly strange, but it keeps the meals a little more normal.

Prior to dinner, I decided to take the initiative and order the smoked chicken nachos.  These were actually pretty good and the chicken really did taste smoked.  Doubtful that they smoked it in-house, however the flavor did carry through which is even more impressive considering the meat per chip ratio is pretty small.

For my entree, I ordered the hanger steak with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and fried onion straws.  I have ordered this meal before, did not care for it, yet still ordered it again.  The primary reason I did not enjoy it was the red wine reduction sauce drizzled on the steak and potatoes.  It was too concentrated of a wine taste for me.  Additionally the steak was not cooked medium rare which makes it tough and chewy.  It was more medium so it wasn't extremely harsh, but still tougher than I like.  The potatoes, steamed broccoli, and fried onion straws were all average, with nothing standing out to me.

As a special bonus, one of my coworkers ordered a breaded, boneless chicken breast.  When it came out, it was noticably raw in the middle.  Not just a little sliver was raw, but at least a third of the inside was pink.  Needless to say, he returned it yet ordered his replacement meal of a burger medium rare.  Tempting fate again I guess.

A desert was ordered for the table which was a brownie with vanilla ice cream.  This was not unique other than the oats that were in the brownie.  This gave it an odd texture that I would best describe as eating peanut skins when you eat peanuts.  Its the part of the peanut that gets your mouth really dry and in your teeth...not that good.

Overall, I give this meal a 2 of 5.  There was nothing special about it and the raw chicken pushed it to a 2.  Due to the proximity of the restaurant to the hotel, there is a good chance I will be back regardless of my preference.  Hopefully I will remember this meal and order something other than the hanger steak!


3 comments:

  1. Solid details. Michelle-esque. Your co-worker was clearly confused...changing from chicken to a medium rare burger? Not in the Yee family. Wait, my Dad might do that. No wait, he would have eaten the rare chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Michelle-esque" --> awesome.

    But not as awesome as my cuzzes Jonathan & Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know why you're awesome Optimistimiasta? Because you're the only person I can think of that has referred to me and Jon by both of our full names. I don't know why that's awesome, but it is. Or maybe it's just Michelle-esque.

    ReplyDelete