Sunday, March 6, 2011

PHL dinner - @@

Due to a late flight booking, I was on a different airplane route this week.  So on Thursday night I found myself with the unenviable position of a connecting flight through Philadelphia.  PHL is notorious for delays and did not disappoint by holding up my inbound flight (PHL traffic control would not let us take off from PVD?!?)

During the layover, I ventured around the airport looking for dinner.  Needing something rather quick, I passed the sit-down fare of Chickie and Pete's and Legal Sea Food.  Finding the food court between terminals B and C, I ordered a cheesesteak and smoothie.  The cheesesteak ("wiz without") was flavorless, lacking salt and grease.  The sandwich construction was suboptimal, placing the wiz on the bottom and the steak on top.  By putting the wiz on top of the steak, the flavor would run through the meat as opposed to it sitting as a pile of chees at the bottom.  I attempted to boost the flavor with mayonnaise, however that still failed.  The strawberry and banana smoothie was similarly bland.  I ordered the dairy version which the cashier said was better, however it tasted artificial.  Strawberry flavor was definitely lacking and I did not get the texture of seeds.  Perhaps real strawberries were not used??

All told, the PHL dining experience was a 2 of 5.  While I cannot set the bar too high (it is an airport afterall), I felt the items lacked basic flavor.  Next time I will go to the Chick-fil-a.

no noticeable cheese shown due to sandwich construction

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this photo shows the effect of carrying out a cheese steak. You can really see the grease-mushed-on-the-wrapper parts of the steak.

    Of course, I think a cheese steak is enjoyed better fresh and eaten in store, as opposed to carrying out, but that's like choosing between fresh-made or cold pizza. Can't really complain.

    This Yee prefers widout, provo, light onion, no mushroom. Winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. provolone is harder to get gooey throughout though...

    ReplyDelete