Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mill's Tavern - @@@

On Thursday, April 21 I found myself still in Rhode Island as I was going straight to Philadelphia after work on Friday.  Since it was a Thursday, all of my travel co-workers left for the week meaning I was able to pick a restaurant at my convenience.  I had heard good things about Mill's Tavern from some other colleagues who went their earlier in the project so I decided to head over there after work.

Walking in I was greeted by a friendly host who quickly took me to my table (no bar stools for me).  Since I was dining alone, I was able to get a good seat in the booths however it was pretty close to another couple at the table next to me.  This time it was actually a good thing.  I was able to talk to them throughout the meal and they gave me some good suggestions not only on local restaurants but also places to go in Newport as well.  They were extremely friendly and it worked out really well for me.  They even bought me a drink!

For my entree, I ordered the boneless short rib.  The presentation when it came out was simple yet classy.  It was surrounded by a ladle of beef broth with a smear of carrot-cilantro puree.  I was worried that my dislike of cilantro would make me not like the puree, however it was alright.  I did feel that the dish was missing some flavor balance, as the rich meat flavor was not balanced by anything light, sweet, or crunchy.  I would've been in trouble if I did not order a side of mashed potatoes as that somewhat contrasted with the heavy beef flavor provided by the short rib.  I also would have preferred the bone-in since it adds to the beef flavor and the tender meat would make it just fall off the bone.  All told though, the beef flavor was not what was lacking, rather the contrasting bite that the meal did not provide.

I had a great time at Mill's Tavern which was definitely helped by the couple that I talked with throughout the meal.  I would go back again to try some other food that they serve.  They also claim to have a seasonal menu rotation that includes lots of local ingredients.  However I did not think that the price of the meal was worth it which is why I almost gave it a 2.  Since I would go back though, I'm going with a 3 of 5 here, but I would proceed with slight caution.


101 N Main St
Providence, RI 02903

1 comment:

  1. Booth by yourself. In the corner like a mafia don?

    You and your outgoing nature seems to serve you well in these situations. Free LSU fb tix offered to you here, free drinks offered to you there...what did you get by the way? I'm guessing vodka cranberry.

    You love that whole balance thing. I do too, but I don't think I take notice of it at your level.

    Seasonal menus are cool, but of course they're pretty costly.

    And yeah, the good company of others can make a good meal great, or at the very least memorable.

    ReplyDelete