Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Philly – a long time ago (April 22 – 24)

I am throwing in a blog about my trip to Philly that I took during Easter weekend. I was able to take the Acela down from Providence (which is a remarkably decent mode of transportation) and get some good sandwiches along with visiting family there.
There were a bunch of sandwich places that I was able to get to, including my favorite pork sandwich spot DiNic's. As always, the sandwich was perfect, with the juicy roast pork blending with sharp provolone and slightly spicy spinach. The bread held up well to the sandwich juices, however I am unable to determine the long-term firmness of the bread after it soaks up the juices since whenever I get the sandwich I eat it right away.

A second pork spot that I was able to try was George’s which was recommended to me by a coworker. I had their roast pork sandwich with provolone and greens. I tried to order spinach but they didn’t have any so I had rabe. The response I got was very South Philly, “rabe is just like spinach…both green and leafy”. So funny. Anyways as you can tell from the picture, the rabe was overcooked and dripping in water. That flavor soaked through the sandwich so it was not as flavorful as DiNic's as the water washed out the pork flavor. Again eating it instantly did not allow me to measure the sturdiness of the bread used.

Finally the third sandwich on the list was a classic cheesesteak from Pat’s – the original inventor of the cheesesteak. I find they have a consistent sandwich which is honed from the long lines that form. The meat and cheese meld together extremely well and the bread is firm enough to hold up to all of the juice/grease/cheese from the sandwich. I like it better than Geno’s located across the street.

This was a great side trip that allowed me to get some of my favorite eats in.  I would say 5 of 5 for DiNic's, 3 of 5 for George's, and 4 of 5 for Pat's

DiNic's - perfect!

George's - overcooked rabe

Pat's - very solid, the original cheesesteak

DiNic's
1136 Arch St (inside Reading Terminal Market)
Philadelphia

George's Sandwich Shop
900 S 9th St
Philadelphia

Pat's King of Steaks
1237 E Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia

3 comments:

  1. Jealous. Especially given the food where I am right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. food no good at the biosphere? cook or go out and eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't try George's when I was there last. That's just poor. From those pics, I'm guessing a day-old DiNic's roast pork sammich might be preferable to a fresh George's.

    As I told you before, Pat's cheesesteaks now seem much better than I remember them - I had my first one in '07, and I think they just cut the steak in finer strips/pieces now than they used to.

    Speaking of cheesesteaks, Steaks on South was a pleasant surprise! Good bread, solid meat.

    ReplyDelete