Monday, June 11, 2012

La Casona Restaurant - @@@

Went to this local Colombian restaurant with a local Colombian coworker the other day. Place is definitely not a tourist spot. I couldn't even find it on yelp. 

As you may imagine, decor was not first priority. The place is a half bakery, half restaurant. Definitely not as nice as the Bridgeport Colombian spot I went to and that wasn't even that nice. So let's go with the food here. Started off with a fruit juice with milk that my coworker ordered for me. I told him to get me something authentic. It was good, and quickly downed that with some empanadas. The empanadas were good and had an amazingly "fresh" salsa. It seemed fresh but was stored in containers that probably are not cleaned after each emptying. I enjoy the Colombian style empanadas because they integrate the shell with the filling. Sort of like mashed potatoes and gravy, they are paired together as opposed to a separate shell and filling like say a cannoli. Had beef and chicken ones; for $1 they can't be beat but I'll take the beef. 

For dinner again went with the main meal. I think it's called bandeja and has the rice, beans, pork, steak, sausage, egg, and arepas. So the food seemed reasonably spiced, but just didn't wow me like the place in Bridgeport. The meat didn't seem as tender or flavorful. Although I think I did eat the pork correctly this time, without the rind. I believe it's called chicharron. You can have either steak or chicken, and I was able to try some of the chicken. That was well seasoned and good; it went well with the rice and salsa. The arepa was dry ad I remembered even after dipping it in the beans as recommended. 

Overall the place was pretty cool and definitely off the beaten path. Locals for sure. Our business clothes made us stick out big time so it was good that my coworker was speaking Spanish to them or they would've thought we were really lost. Good and worth a try if you are adventurous both food wise and location wise. 

804 Broad Street
Central Falls, RI




Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment