Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Houston Inn - @@@

Wrapping up dinner here tonight on the advice of the driving range worker who said they have some pretty good food. He was right, not bad.

First off however I got nervous before I even walked in. It looks like a prime place for that tv show Restaurant Makeover it is so "classic". Walking in does not make it newer looking either. Very country-ish but I guess it is on the outskirts of bustling Mason, OH so it makes sense.

They advertise a 55 item salad bar which is included with the meal. Of course I order prime rib as it is billed as "the very best". Again it suffers from overcooked-ness as i am resigning myself to out here. Tender yes, tons of flavor no.

But what gives them the extra point is the totally off the wall salad bar item pickled watermelon rinds. What??? I am amazed I even tested them out but they sounded so unique that I had to try at least 1. I'm glad I did, they were quite tasty. Had a mellow crunch similar to a mandarin orange in jello. As a matter of fact, that definitely explains the texture. It was soft throughout and then a bit harder (crunchy would not be the term to describe it as it wasn't that firm). The taste was slightly tangy, but nothing overpowering. I ended up going back to have a few more pieces. Keep in mind that I don't feel it was amazing just that it was something I have never even heard of before. Googling it, it appears to be a southern thing. Additional interesting items on the salad bar included a mashed potato salad (meh), ambrosia (marshmallows in a maraschino cherry sauce with pineapple?? Odd texture), and homemade mouse (decent).

So yes I was by far the youngest here as yelp reviews suggest. No the food will not wow you. It is just a local place catering to locals for a casual experience. I would not go out of my way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

4026 S US Route 42
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 comment:

  1. For a second, I thought you were in Houston and didn't tell me!

    P.S. You tried mouse?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete