Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Jean Roberts Table - @@@

This was our city day and I selected this French bistro sort of restaurant. Bistro in the sense that's what it was billed as but in reality it was a touch more expensive. I guess that's what happens when you order multiple non-price listed specials.

My meal was actually quite good, the duck breast with sweet potatoes, creamy risotto, dates, nuts and mushrooms. All served with a table side red wine Demi glas. Again however I am stumped by the apparent lack of faith of medium rare cookness as this was more towards the medium scale. Very few restaurants in Cincinnati have been able to cook to medium rare, and in most instances 1 or 2 shades overdone. The flavor of the duck was good, however subtle. It took on the flavor of the sauce along with the creamy risotto that is buried underneath in the picture.

Also worth noting was the great bread and even better butter. French restaurants always serve the best butter I feel. The one downer was the price, and as I expected the portions were more Euro-centric than typical American standards. Not a bad thing by any means, but something to pay attention to. All in all I thought not a bad dinner, just not something to go absolutely crazy over.

713 Vine St
Cincinnati, OH 45202

No comments:

Post a Comment