Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Phoenician Taverna - @@@

Another restaurant with the misfortune of comparison eating. This is a Middle Eastern restaurant located in a strip of local eateries that I particularly enjoyed (Sichuan Bistro and Sura as the others). Again the food was pretty good and reminded me of the places back in Detroit.

I got the mixed shawarma which had chicken and lamb. Good flavor overall and well spiced. Chicken was not overly cooked and dry, which I have seen in other places. The lamb was also tasty, although I preferred the chicken as I usually do. Served with freshly baked pita, garlic sauce and rice, the meal was again quite filling. The pita was the puffy, fresh kind which surprised me in a positive way. Garlic sauce on point, although the little cup is hardly enough. Rice was odd in that it just seemed like basmati rice, no pine nuts, almonds, or vermicelli. That was slightly disappointing.

I liked this place in relation to other Cincinnati eateries and would come back. But in relation to a Cedarland or other Dearborn favorites, just not at that level. The meat is just more moist, garlic more plentiful, and rice more seasoned but all in all a good place to explore some Middle Eastern cuisine.

7944 S Mason Montgomery Rd
Mason, OH 45040

No comments:

Post a Comment