Monday, April 21, 2014

SmoQ - @@@

Couple of things about this place. One, rating is devalued a bit just cause of the amazing BBQ I have had across the US. Two, I got a ton of food. I don't think the picture does it justice. Third, also had the gumbo which I don't know if I was really wanting something like that tonight but was really tasty.

This place actually seems to use fire to cook their meats. That is always a good start. I got the brisket and ribs combo upon recommendation from the server. It was what I was thinking too, just wasn't sure whether to order ribs as well or just go straight brisket. He recommended the dry rub St Louis style, again what I was looking at. The rub was sweet, not overly so, but definitely could taste the sugar. This was later confirmed as a brown sugar base for the 13 spice rub. Gladly I did not need the sauces, which they had the typical Carolina, KC sweet, and a spicy version of the KC with sirracha in it. The food was good, and came out blazing hot which is slightly curious for a BBQ smoke place. I'm guessing they finish the food on a grill (hopefully not a microwave!) before they serve it since smoked meat never gets overly hot. I'm talking this was burn your tongue hot. In fact I did burn my tongue. The ribs were amazingly tender for being smoked, and were able to be eaten with only that slight resistance that you want. Brisket was thick cut (always a good sign since they aren't worried about drying out) and still tender.

For the sides I got the collards and a sweet potato brûlée with pecans on top. Again very solid sides with not much to complain about. Collards were still slightly bitter and had good seasoning on them and the sweet potato was not overly sugary.

I am taking 1/3rd of this meal back to the hotel there was so much food. Great deal for $20 as you could easily split it. Though it was practically empty when I was here, the server was helpful and they played a southern style blues constantly. The size of the place reminds me of a Chilis, in my mind I think if it was smaller it could have a better, less imposing ambiance. Like maybe what they have in KC with just cafeterias or Texas with park benches. But overall I think this is a really good option for BBQ in the Cincinnati area. If I had not been exposed to Rudy's or Arthur Bryant's, this would easily get a 4. If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend if you are in the mood for a meat-intensive meal.

275 Pictoria Dr
Cincinnati, OH 45246

No comments:

Post a Comment