Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pio Pio - @@@

I went to dinner here the other day meeting my friend in the city. It is a Peruvian restaurant that seems pretty popular and got good reviews on Yelp. I surprisingly didn't find it all that impressive. I would rate it a 3 just cause I like Peruvian food and the rotisserie chicken was moist and flavorful but the chaufa wasn't that good and lomo saltado have had better.

Obviously we ordered quite a bit of food. Since we were eating family style, they brought out the dishes when ready. Not surprisingly, the Chinese-ish stir fry dishes were done quickly. I thought the chaufa (let's be serious, it's fried rice) was a bit too moist for me. More fry needed. The beef and shrimp were good size bites which I enjoyed and the bean sprouts added texture. Good, not great. Lomo saltado I feel suffered from the "trying to be great" syndrome. I have usually had tougher cuts than the filet they used, consequently it was almost too tender for me. Other times the meat picks up some of the onion and tomato flavor but it was lacking here. The best dish I thought as the rotisserie chicken. Moist, flavorful, and hot are all good ways to describe it. Had both cuts of white meat and probably could've kept going! Everything topped with the aji sauce was good as well - not too spicy and very flavorful. I think it is made with cilantro which is weird since I don't like cilantro, but the blending just works for me. The other sides were not memorable - dry tostones (per usual, not necessarily cooked poorly but rather just how it is I think), yellow rice and beans, and hot dog slices on fries.

Overall, not exactly sure it is a 3 but I still enjoyed the meal. I guess I would go low 3. I do prefer the places in Providence (Machu Picchu, Julianas) and even the random spot in Cincinnati had better chaufa. I am guessing there are better Peruvian places in NYC, and if you are looking for South American then check out El Malecon just down the street...that place is good!

702 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10025

No comments:

Post a Comment