Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Koreana - @@@

Pretty good Korean BBQ but smallish portions. Will post review soon.

Went to this Korean BBQ last night with a few coworkers.  Both have never been so it was up to me to try and pick something good.  Real easy selections then...went with kalbi (right) and pork belly (left).  Got plenty of side dishes as well which we basically all tried, even the more exotic like fish cake and assorted pickled items.  They also had really good service that was very accommodating to getting us more rice, potatoes and water.  Green tea ice cream was also ordered for desert, but I didn't have any.

On to the meat though, I thought it was pretty good.  The pork belly was sort of marinated, but still retained that great taste.  I cooked it on low heat to render out some of the fat but not crisp or char it.  I feel that it tastes better when it is still soft and retains some of the natural juices.  The kalbi was good, but nothing special.  Very similar to what I have had in the past with the sweet marinade that paired well with the lettuce wraps.  However I did feel the portions were a bit tiny, but it still filled us up.  Also different was the cooking surface, which was steel as opposed to iron.  It did make cooking a little different, but since the meat was so thin it wasnt a big deal.

My coworkers have never been to Korean BBQ and by all accounts they liked it.  They mentioned that they would definitely go back again, so that is a really good sign.  For me, it was good, but nothing special like the now defunct all-you-can eat BBQ that was in Southfield, MI.  I enjoyed it and would go back, but would also like to try the other places around the city.  Overall good though.

158 Prospect St
Cambridge, MA 02139

No comments:

Post a Comment