Monday, March 31, 2014

Sichuan Bistro - @@@

I tried out this Chinese restaurant the other day while dining alone. It was located in a strip mall close to the hotel and looked like a somewhat generic local Chinese spot. I did not expect much however yelp reviews were quite kind so I wanted to try it out.

To my surprise it was actually quite Sichuan-y in the fact that a) it was spicy and b) they had the authentic tongue numbing Chinese peppercorns. Pretty respective for a 8 table main dining room (there may have been a side room as well but it was close to closing and that was already shut down for the night). I got the dry fried red chili chicken which was recommended on yelp as well as a side of Chinese broccoli. The chicken was fried nicely and had quite a bit of peppercorns in it. I wanted to try a more Sichuan-style dish and it did not disappoint. Tongue felt weird while eating, and there was enough for leftover lunch the next day. The broccoli was cooked just right, tender yet crunchy at the same time. Had it with the usual white garlic sauce.

The reviews were right in that it was a good place to try out in Cincinnati. Very close to a 4, but normalized for all Chinese it just doesn't quite make it there. But closeness, differentness and quickness will lead me back.

7888 S Mason Montgomery Rd
Mason, OH 45040

No comments:

Post a Comment