Tuesday, February 7, 2012

El Pueblito - @@@

Food coma city! I went to this Columbian restaurant tonight for dinner and got the traditional Bandeja meal. Per the server, the Bandeja is the typical Columbian meal. I got the Bandeja Montanera which includes fried pork, steak, sausage, beans, rice, eggs, and plantains. Wow. An amazing amount of food for $13. Love the local spots that full you up like this place.

As far as the taste goes, it was pretty good overall. The steak was a thinly sliced rib-eye, but since it was so thin it can't be cooked medium rare. Juicy and flavorful still though. Sausage was tasty and compared favorably to other chorizo's I have had. The new one for me was the fried pork. Talk about unhealthy...this was some pork cut that was fried up crispy. I would guess country-style boneless ribs and then fried. I actually ate the whole chunk of a few pieces while most traditionally eat up to the skin. Even then, there is a good amount of fat. The pork again I feel suffered from being overly dry. The other sides of plantains, rice, beans, fried egg, arepa, an avocado were all decent although I felt the arepa was again dry.

Oh I forgot about the empanadas that I had to start out with. Those were really good. They were constructed differently than I have normally had them. Instead of a separate shell, the corn/potato mixture was formed as a ball and fried, leaving the outside the same flavor as the filling. Interesting and good.

Overall going 3 of 5 tonight. Wanted to go higher because of all the meats, but the flavor just wasn't all the way there. Still would recommend this place to someone checking out food in Bridgeport as it is different than typical corporate restaurants. The service was also great as he explained to me quite a bit about the dishes available. Go there and just be ready for a nap after!

121 Wall St
Bridgeport, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment