Sunday, February 12, 2012

Village Smokehouse - @@@

Went to this BBQ spot today. While it can't compare to the famous spots in Texas and Kansas, it did an adequate job. This place was modeled after the Texas BBQ pits with the open grill where the food is finished before serving. The fire pit itself is quite cool and definitely commands your attention when you walk in.

As for the food itself, I got the Texas sampler or something like that. Basically had most of the meats available and from left to right we have chicken, sausage, brisket, beef rib, and baby back ribs all with no sauce. Sides that I tried were cole slaw, mashed potatoes, sweet potato fries, baked beans, and corn bread.

For the meats, I purposely get no sauce on it to try the meat by itself. "Meat with sauce does not equal juicy meat" as Jeff would say. The chicken was surprisingly moist for being the white quarter and bbq'ed. It did dry out after a while but I was surprised I liked it as I figured that would be my least favorite. Sausage was also decent, with nice fennel flavor and bite to the link. Brisket was biggest letdown by far. Three skinny, dry pieces is not what I have come to expect from a Texas-style BBQ joint. Beef rib was also tougher, which was to be expected but lacked overall flavor when compared to baseline beef ribs of Fogo. Baby back ribs were actually good, with a little snap to the meat and overall tenderness. I am more used to the spare ribs, but I liked these tonight. Meat rankings tonight would be sausage, baby backs, beef ribs, chicken and brisket. The sauce on the side had a little spice to it and was tomato based.

Sides lacked overall depth of flavor. Mashed potatoes were bland and too smooth for me, needing some sort of gravy to make them edible. All others were passable, but not overall recommended.

When rating this place, I want to go 2. But I think I am comparing this to insanely good places around the US which coming from Boston really wouldn't be fair. So from a Boston only perspective I will go 3 knowing that it is really not a BBQ city. If you need some slow cooked meat, try it but do not expect the quality of a KC or Texas.

1 Harvard St
Brookline Village, MA 02445

No comments:

Post a Comment