Friday, February 3, 2012

Miss Thelma's - @@@@

Not sure if it was the lack of Italian or the assortment of soul food, but when I went to Miss Thelma's for dinner last night I was quite happy. I had checked out the menu online before so going in I knew what I was going to get. The smothered pork chops and fried chicken. To be honest I did not really look at the sides much.
When I go in, they were sadly sold out of the smothered pork chops. That's ok as I checked out the beef rib to switch it up. Uh oh, they were out of the too. So I eventually ordered the BBQ ribs and fried chicken. I did get 2 sides so asked their recommendation. They said the collards and Spanish rice so that is what I got.
The first stuff to come out were 2 cornbread muffins topped with butter. They were ok, it tasted a little too mealy for me and I only had one as I knew I would not be short food later. One interesting note was that these muffins were extremely hot which I found strange as they were getting close to closing. I would find out this is a common theme with their food. Then came the main event. The chicken was simply fried with not much seasoning in the batter. I like more seasoning, but it was fried perfectly and juicy. A little hot sauce on top and it was really good. The ribs as you can tell we're smothered in BBQ sauce. The sauce was a sweetish concoction that definitely stuck to your fingers. At the few soul food restaurants I have been too, they seem to have the sauce sweeter and absolutely cover the ribs. Not sure if that's a common thing or not. The ribs itself were good, not overly tender but had a good bite to them. And they were spareribs so they had plentiful meat to them. Spanish rice was ok, nothing overly special but again super temperature hot. Collard greens I liked as they were really wilted down. I do not cook them so appreciated the fact that they take so long to get that way with flavor.
Overall really good meal that I was happy to get to. Not sure how many soul food places Bridgeport has, but I know why this one won the best of award they have posted up. Check it out!

140 Fairfield Ave
Bridgeport, CT 06612 

No comments:

Post a Comment